Re: McDonnell Douglas & Boeing To Merge -- Press Release Text

Date:         27 Dec 96 13:32:21
From:         Oliver Raff <raff@ind.uni-stuttgart.de>

Niels Sampath wrote:

> In article <airliners.1996.2906@ohare.Chicago.COM>
>            nagarwal@cs.uml.edu "Niraj Agarwalla" writes:
>
> >Airbus said that they would try to block the deal?  To they have a case?
>
> Further to my repky where I said I hadn't heard anything about the above,
> I now read that the `EU Commission may block the deal if it affects
> competetion'.  Maybe there is some relevant GATT clause but it is
> probably just impotent bluster and probably stems from defence concerns
> rather than Airbus itself.

It is not just impotent bluster as the European Commision already
stopped an all American merger in the chemical industrie before.
(I have to look up the companies involved - if someone is interested).
The EC said that they will examine the market shares of the new
Boeing-MD company in Europe and might veto the merging. According to
a newspaper article a few days ago, Boeing already contacted the EC
about the deal. Again, if someone is interested, I'll translate the
article and post it. Additionally, I have an interview with Manfred
Bischoff, the head of DASA, which subjects "indirect" US subsidies to
the American aviation industrie. I could post that in a translation,
too.

later

oli

--
Oliver Raff                                 Mittelstrasse 15
oraff@studbox.uni-stuttgart.de               70180 Stuttgart