Re: Boeing 777 - Totally Irresponsible?

Date:         27 Dec 96 13:32:19
From:         rickydik@ix.netcom.com (RD Rick)

In <airliners.1996.2839@ohare.Chicago.COM> falke@pweh.com ( 0
Falke_Charlie phone dist ) writes:

>> The keynote speaker of the 1996 Pacific Northwest Software Quality
>snip
>> aircraft.  He vowed never to fly on one...
>> How was the 777 tested?  Is it safe?  Or is it "unsafe at any airspeed?"

>...  This process is described in the RTCA document DO-178B.  All
>the fault conditions are most certainly required to be tested.  It
>does require hundreds of man-years of work.  The really irresponsible
>thing is when people who should know better sound off like that in
>public.

A UAL Captain told me about an incident two years ago on a 757 with
digitally controlled P&W engines.  They were at about 1000' on final to
LAX, in the cloud, when one engine went max thrust - uncommanded.  The
induced roll made them believe at first that they had a flight control
problem.  Once they recognized the runaway power on one engine, they
brought up the other one, and climbed out.  They were crossing
altitudes faster than ATC could clear them.

Picture that failure at 50' in CAT III conditions.
RD