Re: B777 range

Date:         27 Dec 96 13:32:19
From:         kls@ohare.Chicago.COM (Karl Swartz)

>According to Flight International, Boeing is targeting Delta for the
>launch of the B767-400ERX with an order of 40 plus aircraft.  I think
>it make sense for both parties.  Boeing needs an A330-200 competitor,
>and Delta needs an L-1011 replacement.

Delta also is the only US carrier making significant domestic use of
the 767, in addition to ER versions for long international flights.
(AA and UA each have small fleets of non-ER 767-200s for domestic use,
but they have special, three-class cabins and are used for specialized
routes like the JFK-LAX/SFO transcons, not simply as a bigger domestic
aircraft when a 757 isn't big enough.  In fact, the AA and UA 767-200s
have *fewer* seats than their 757s.)

If Delta launches the 767-400, I wonder if it will be with Rolls-Royce
engines?  (Probably unlikely, though with RB.211s on their L-1011s it
might not be too far-fetched.  The comment mainly stems from one of my
pet boggles -- the fact that Delta not only bought 767-300s with both
GE and PW engines but was taking delivery of both varieties at the
same time.  Other airlines have switched engine types, e.g., UPS
switched from PW to RR on their 757s, but they don't keep buying more
planes with the abandoned engine type!)

--
Karl Swartz	|Home	kls@chicago.com