Re: SAS ditching near LAX

Date:         27 Dec 96 13:32:16
From:         emoore@netrunner.net (Eric Moore)

In article <airliners.1996.2877@ohare.Chicago.COM>, lestroyens@aol.com
(LesTroyens) wrote:

> The recent discussions over the Ethiopian 767 ditching brings to my mind a
> dim memory of a survivable sea landing by a SAS DC-8, probably in the
> early 60's.
> Anyone has data / specs?

In the 1960s JAL ditched a DC-8 successfully in the bay south of San
Francisco.  Landing in fog, the crew made a navigational error and found
themselves in the bay instead of on the runway.  Everyone got out a little
wet, but the plane was upright and in one piece.  The pilot, shamed, later
committed suicide.

--
Eric Moore             emoore@netrunner.net
Miami, Florida          PGP Key: OxFBAE5865