Re: Help ID Piedmont Propeller Planes, Please

Date:         27 Dec 96 04:41:07
From:         Christopher Meshke <meshko@u.washington.edu>

On 12 Dec 1996, Bart Killam wrote:

> Back then, Piedmont flew many more F-27's then YS-11's. So on
> that basis, it is likely they were F-27's. The YS-11's had a
> distinctive "tinny" sound compared with the F-27's.

I do remember the distinctive sound of YS-11's. Mid-Pacific Airlines based
out of HNL operated them for island hops and cargo. It was simular metal
on metal as the RR dart engines come up to speed and temp. Also, I
remember the cabin noise levels nearly required a headset to speak to the
person in the ajoining seat!

F-27's. Haven't seen those in the Pacific Northwest since Horizon Air
replaced the fleet with Dash 8's and  SA-227's. Are there airlines in
North America which still operate this work horse or have many gone the
way of Arizona?

--
Chris Meshke
meshko@u.washington.edu