Re: MD-17 vs. MD-11F/DC-10F

Date:         27 Dec 96 04:41:02
From:         matt@firstsol.com (matt weber)
Followups:    1 2 3 4

In article <airliners.1996.2976@ohare.Chicago.COM>, jheilig@gate.net says...

>Karl Swartz wrote:
>
>> The MD-17 (commercial C-17) may lift greater weights, and has that
>> nice rear cargo door for really big stuff.  I don't see where either
>> is of great value to a package carrier like FedEx or UPS, though.
>
>  I've heard the factor of an almost total lack of scissor lifts, etc as
>being a major point in favor of a FedEx and/or UPS MD-17 purchase.  That
>would allow them to cut *way* down on some fairly expensive ground
>support equipment if they could simply roll cargo in and out of the rear
>ramp.  It would also save time and manhours in handling cargo, and with
>FedEx especially, every saved second counts bigtime...

Perhaps, but that cargo ramp costs weight, and complexity. While the ground
equipment bay be expensive, it is nothing compared to what it costs in an
aircraft, or the cost of flying it a few million miles a year.(not to
mention that a mechanical problem with renders an aircraft that costs 100
million dollars or so useless until it is fixed!

 The military goes that route because there is no assurance they can get
those facilities on the ground where they are going, so they have to pay
the price. It isn't clear to me that the price is likely to be attactive
to a commercial carrier.

my opinions anyway.