Re: Fate of the MD-11, MD-90, MD-95

Date:         27 Dec 96 04:41:02
From:         faurecm@halcyon.com (C. Marin Faure)

In article <airliners.1996.2968@ohare.Chicago.COM>, don@rata.vuw.ac.nz
(Don Stokes) wrote:

> I'm not sure that's the whole story.  As I understand it, Boeing
> developed podded engines for the B-47 because:
>
> - the USAAF didn't want engines next to the bomb load and crew where
>   battle-damage could result in jet gasses cremating the crew and payload
>
> - Boeing, after many B-17s lost due to engine fires burning through the
>   main spar, didn't want the engines buried in the wing

Just a nit pick; the B-17 did not have a problem with engine fires other
than those started by the Germans.  It was the B-29 that suffered chronic
engine fires in their Wright R-3350s, due primarily to a lack of oil
getting to the valve stems.  This would start a chain reaction: a valve
would break, punch a hole in the side of a cylinder, the fuel would spray
out the hole and be ignited by the hot turbocharger mechanism, the
resulting fire would spread to the wing if not contained, and the wing
structure would begin to burn through.  The problem was eventually fixed,
but there were a lot of accidents including the one that killed Boeing
test pilot Eddie Allen in XB-29 No. 2.

C. Marin Faure
   author, Flying a Floatplane