Re: SAS ditching near LAX

Date:         23 Dec 96 22:48:03
From:         Robert Johnson <rwjohnson@earthlink.net>

Per-Olof Litby (SunService Marketing - Nordic) wrote:

> On 16 Dec 96 03:15:38 , lestroyens@aol.com (LesTroyens) wrote:
>
> >The recent discussions over the Ethiopian 767 ditching brings to my mind a
> >dim memory of a survivable sea landing by a SAS DC-8, probably in the
> >early 60's.
> >Anyone has data / specs?
>
> Just found a few more facts: The incident happened on January 13, 1969
> west of Los Angeles. The aircraft was LN-MOO, a DC-8-62.

Our neighbor across the street was one of the few fatalities on that
flight.  He was sitting in the rear of the plane and apparently went
down with the tail section.  His body, to the best of my knowledge, was
never recovered.

There were actually two planes that went down in the same area about one
week apart.  I don't recall which airline the other plane was though.

Robert Johnson