Re: SAS ditching near LAX

Date:         23 Dec 96 22:48:03
From:         rickydik@ix.netcom.com (RD Rick)

In <airliners.1996.2925@ohare.Chicago.COM> politby@sun.se (Per-Olof
Litby (SunService Marketing - Nordic)) writes:

>>...dim memory of a survivable sea landing by a SAS DC-8, probably in the
>>early 60's.
>>Anyone has data / specs?

>Just found a few more facts: The incident happened on January 13, 1969
>west of Los Angeles. The aircraft was LN-MOO, a DC-8-62.

A friend of mine was one of the investigators.  He told me they had no
Gear Down Green light on one of the gear.  While the Capt and FE were
out of their seats checking the gear, the inexperienced F/O got
distracted and just let it fly into the water.  That was before GPWS.

It was my friends job to disassemble the inst. panel.  They found a
previously burnt-out bulb in one half an indicator, and a loose wire
that went to the other bulb..

IIRC, that happened about a month from the time a UAL 727 nosed into
the water on departure from LAX.  That one was from lack of cockpit
standardization.
RD