Re: B777 range

Date:         19 Dec 96 03:06:35
From:         rlawler@isd.net

H Andrew Chuang wrote:

> >From one of the newswire services, it's reported that starting in 1998,
> the range of the B777-200IGW will be boosted from 7,200 nm to 7,500 nm,
> thus, claiming the long-haul champion from the A340 (which has a range
> of 7,400 nm).  Air France will be the first airline to receive the
> new version of the IGW model.  It is also reported that by the year
> 2000, the ultra-long-range B777-200 (a.k.a. C-market B777 or B777-200X)
> with a range of 8,500 nm will be ready for service.  Two possible routes
> for the ultra-long-range aircraft mentioned in the report were
> Dallas-Hong Kong and Singapore-Los Angeles.  I guess it's fairly
> obviously which two airlines are most interested in the aircraft.
> (However, based on other reports, it seems to me that Singapore Airlines
> was more interested in the B777-100X.)
>
> In addition to the plans for the -200, Boeing intends to increase the
> range of the -300 to 5,700 nm.  I have always wondered if the B747-500X
> is launched, will Boeing close down the B747-400 line and offer a
> 7,000nm B777-300 instead?
>
> It appears the B777-100X is dead.  My guess is the operating cost of
> the -100X is probably not very attractive.  In the same report, the
> streched B767-400ERX (yes, they used the ERX designation in the report)
> was mentioned.  The proposed plane would carry 250 passengers in
> three classes and would compete directly with the A330-200.

I hate to burst everyone's bubble about the increased range and payload
capability of these new aircraft.  But, its all relative.  Any time a new
a new aircraft is put into service its placed on a route with a payload
to which the aircraft cannot possibilty perform up to expectations.

With various wind patterns, routings restricted by air traffic and
political borders, and continuing increase in operating costs it becomes
difficult take advantage of the new technology.