Re: B777 range

Date:         19 Dec 96 03:06:34
From:         kls@ohare.Chicago.COM (Karl Swartz)

>I note that UA seems to have quietly stopped the ORD-HKG non-stop
>service I suspect the winter wind conditions pushed the flight times
>out past what the aircraft could do.

It wasn't particularly quiet -- UA said the service would be seasonal
when they started it, due to winter winds.  In October, when the flight
was dropped for the season, UA noted that the service had been very
successful and would return in 1997, reiterating that wind conditions
forced it to be a seasonal service.

>I believe a poster to this newsgroup indicated it was being
>restricted to 265 or 285 passengers (more than 100 empty seats).

I think the initial limit was 265, but I can't find the reference.
That was hardly 100 empty seats -- the 747-400s UA used for this
service were ones with a very high percentage of premium seats, and
thus a capacity of only 301.

>I have a feeling it carries almost no freight.

The only cargo was checked baggage.  Freight generally doesn't care
about making an extra stop, so routing it via SFO or LAX or NRT was
not a problem.

--
Karl Swartz	|Home	kls@chicago.com