Re: McDonnell Douglas & Boeing To Merge -- Press Release Text

Date:         19 Dec 96 03:06:30
From:         "t. smith" <trsmith@prado.com>

Karl Swartz wrote:

> I've never heard any mention of a 777 freighter, though there probably
> are plans for one eventually.  Compared to the MD-11F, I'd guess it
> would lift significantly less payload, without a correspondingly lower
> operating cost.  Above the MD-11F, the 747-400F only offers about 30%
> more lift and a lot of extra, useless space, for a much higher initial
> and operating cost.  That's why the MD-11 has been popular as a cargo
> plane.
>
> Unless the 777 can do better than I'd expect, I think there's still a
> niche for the MD-11 as a freighter.

  Federal Express has bought up nearly DC-10 on planet Earth for use in
their cargo operations. After their recent purchases from UAL and AA, I
bet FedEx has over 50% of the currently operation DC-10s in the world.
My question to you is : What is it about the DC-10/MD-11 that makes it
such an outstanding cargo airplane ?

thomas

--
mailto:trsmith@prado.com