Aer Lingus Viscount, 1968 (was: KAL shot down by USSR ...)

Date:         17 Dec 96 03:09:21
From:         msb@sq.com (Mark Brader)
Followups:    1 2 3 4

J. Morris (ifly@indigo.ie) writes:
> There are many incidents worldwide that don`t catch the attention of the
> public for one or another reason. My own favorite is the Aer Lingus
> Viscount shot down (accidently) by the British in 1968 (they deny it
> to this day).

Presumably they deny it because it didn't happen, which might also account
for why it failed to "catch the attention of the public".

According to David Gero in "Aviation Disasters", there was insufficient
evidence to determine any cause for the crash, which occurred off the
Irish coast on 1968-03-24 with 61 deaths.  Gero writes:

# An in-flight fire or explosion, power plant failure, bird strike,
# crew incapacitation or encounter with severe turbulence were either
# ruled out or considered highly improbable.  Althought there was no
# substantiating evidence of such an occurrence, the known facts did
# point to the possibility of a collision with another aircraft,
# possibly a pilotless drone, a near-collision that necessitated an
# evasive maneuver, or an upset of the Viscount by its wake turbulence.

Then, years later,
# ... the wing of a target drone was reportedly found in the vicinity
# where the airliner had gone down.  But no such vehicle was known to
# have been launched anywhere in the area on the day of the crash.

Now, sure, the British might be responsible -- for an out-of-place drone
if not for an actual shooting -- and have managed to cover it up.  And
there might be facts now out that weren't known to Gero in his 1993 book.
But until some facts are shown, let's mind what sort of accusations we
casually fling about here, okay?
--
Mark Brader          \ "Oh, especially if it's accurate. There's nothing worse
msb@sq.com            \  than *accurate*, ill-informed, irresponsible press