Re: ATR-72's and Airbuses

Date:         17 Dec 96 03:09:21
From:         Chuanga@cris.com (H Andrew Chuang)

In article <airliners.1996.2891@ohare.Chicago.COM> Michael Jennings (M.J.Jennings@amtp.cam.ac.uk) wrote:

> 	One slight proviso is that Airbus seems to be doing well with
> the A330-200. Here is an aircraft with similar capabilities to the
> 767-300ER but which is a bit bigger. It may well have a significant
> role in routes that are now dominated by the 767, as these markets grow
> a bit and require slightly larger aircraft. This factor may encourage
> Boeing to build the 767-400ERX (is that the current designation?) some
> time soon.

Last year when the A330-200 was launched, I thought it would do well
(and I said it in this newsgroup).  However, the A330-300 order book
simply does not look healthy.  According to Flight International, Air
France Europe (Air Inter) will return its three remaining A330-300s to
Airbus.  I assume they have cancelled all the orders (at one time Air
Inter had 15 A330s on order).  The TWA and NW A330 orders are
questionable, too.  Garuda may cancel three of its nine A330 orders.
Anyway, Asiana's order of 28 A330s (a combination of -200s and -300s)
will certainly help.  For those who are interested, I will update my
A330/340 vs. B777 page

<http://www.cris.com/~chuanga/a330_b777.shtml>

after Asiana's order is officially announced.