Re: ATR-72's and Airbuses

Date:         17 Dec 96 03:09:20
From:         Chuanga@cris.com (H Andrew Chuang)

In article <airliners.1996.2892@ohare.Chicago.COM> Jean-Francois Bosc (bosc@mauve.recherche.enac.fr) wrote:
> Chuanga@cris.com (H Andrew Chuang) writes:
>
> > In article <airliners.1996.2822@ohare.Chicago.COM> Jean-Francois Bosc (bosc@mauve.recherche.enac.fr) wrote:
> > >
> > > Well, there was one I read a few months ago showing that labor productivity
> > > was higher in France than in any other country ...
> >
> > Are you sure ...
>
> I'm sure I read it ... I also believe that 10 different studies will give 10
> different results and nobody could tell which one is correct.

Then care to explain why SNECMA, the fourth largest engine manufacturer
in the world, has been losing money, even though it is the 50% owner of
one of the most successful engines (the CFM56) in the world?  Even
Rolls-Royce, which does not have a engine as successful as the CFM56,
is making money.  Why very few airlines have lost more money than
Air France in the past few years? ...  I do not imply that high
productivity will always guarantee profits.  However, for the two
examples that I cited, I believe labor cost is an issue.