Re: Fear of Flying

Date:         17 Dec 96 03:09:18
From:         kls@ohare.Chicago.COM (Karl Swartz)

>Just to counter that as a passenger on a total of 209 flight sectors, I
>have suffered two in-flight shutdowns.  One a precautionary event, the
>other a bird strike.

Hmmm ... out of 403 flights in my log since the start of 1986, I've
been on only one with an in-flight shutdown.

>I have also flown on three aircraft that have since had fatal crashes.

I've been on two that subsequently had fatal crashes -- and one that
*previously* had had a fatal accident!  (In October, I flew ORD-SFO on
N4724U, the United 747 that lost its cargo door and nine passengers
operating UA 811.  If you look at the post-accident pictures, the
first two or three windows on the upper deck, above the cargo door,
are where my seat was.  And yes, I knew exactly what plane I was on.)

>I think I am therefore a statistical abnormality.

I don't know about statistics, but my wife definitely thinks I'm an
abnormality when it comes to this stuff.  ;-)

--
Karl Swartz	|Home	kls@chicago.com