Re: McDonnell Douglas & Boeing To Merge -- Press Release Text

Date:         17 Dec 96 03:09:18
From:         kls@ohare.Chicago.COM (Karl Swartz)

>I was under the impression that the 777 "family" would eventually
>encompass all of the MD11's functions. Is this the case ? or will the
>MD11 retain some distinct advantage over the 777 for certain functions ?
>(freight ?)

I've never heard any mention of a 777 freighter, though there probably
are plans for one eventually.  Compared to the MD-11F, I'd guess it
would lift significantly less payload, without a correspondingly lower
operating cost.  Above the MD-11F, the 747-400F only offers about 30%
more lift and a lot of extra, useless space, for a much higher initial
and operating cost.  That's why the MD-11 has been popular as a cargo
plane.

Unless the 777 can do better than I'd expect, I think there's still a
niche for the MD-11 as a freighter.

--
Karl Swartz	|Home	kls@chicago.com