Re: McDonnell Douglas & Boeing To Merge -- Press Release Text

Date:         17 Dec 96 03:09:18
From:         faurecm@halcyon.com (C. Marin Faure)

nospam.jfmezei@videotron.ca wrote:

> Out of curiosity, would there be any warranted efforts to stop this
> merger because of anti-competitive forces (or over concentration) ?
>
> While I personally never really liked McD products, I am saddened to
> see such a big corp go. It will be very interesting to see what Boeing
> does with the DC-9 line of planes (easier to say DC-9 than all the
> different derivatives that are current).
>
> I have a distinct impression that McD will loose its
> personality/presence in the commercial airline business and that Boeing
> will
> basically gobble that part up and "paint" it Boeing. Is this a fair
> assumption ?

Don't know about the future of the MD airplanes, but the Seattle Times
reported that the name of the new company will be "Boeing."  The
McDonnell/Douglas name apparently will be retained for some divisions of
the new company, but the overall name will remain Boeing. Harry
Stonecipher, the current head of McDonnell/Douglas, is relocating to
Seattle where he will be president of the Boeing Company, reporting to
Phil Condit.

C. Marin Faure
   author, Flying a Floatplane