Re: Fate of the MD-11, MD-90, MD-95

Date:         17 Dec 96 03:09:17
From:         kls@ohare.Chicago.COM (Karl Swartz)

>In contrast to the vast majority (apparently) of readers in
>this newsgroup, I think Boeing planes are really boring.
>American commercial airplane manufacturing will now consist of
>various sizes of things that look like a 737. Sure, one of them
>sits higher, but in general we get planes with 2 engines
>mounted under the wings.

The same could be said for Airbus, except their four-engined plane
doesn't even have the "hump nose" to add a bit of space.  Airbus does
offer more interesting wings with the two flavors of fences, though,
versus just the 747-400's winglets for Boeing with straight wingtips
for everything else.

As has been discussed here in the past, the fact is that all modern
large jetliners look pretty much the same because all of the designers
are working with the same constraints.  With CFD, better wind tunnels,
and more refined knowledge of aerodynamics, they're bound to come up
with increasingly similar-looking designs.  The innovation has moved
inside, into areas like flight controls and materials.

>I know you all hate the MD products, but the MD-11 is just so
>awesome to look at. And the poor L1011 is cooler than anything
>else flying around. And not for much longer, unfortunately.

I've long thought the L-1011 was the most attractive jetliner.
Technically, it's one of my favorites as well.  The MD-11 and the
DC-10, well, the less said, the better.  ;-)

--
Karl Swartz	|Home	kls@chicago.com