Re: A second 757 crash -- off the Dominican coast

From:         jpstrain@netcom.com (Jim Strain)
Date:         27 Feb 96 23:00:32
Followups:    1 2 3

BMADDISO@bcsc02.gov.bc.ca wrote:

> Does anyone have examples of prior incidents of mis-fueling on airliners.
> I know of a C130 Hercules which suffered this in Africa some years back.
> The airplane survived but required substantial repairs in order to purge
> the system.

What sort of mis-fueling did you envision?  Are there now different kinds
of jet fuel?  I know it's been a lot of years since I was a ramp rat, but
it still *smells* like the same stuff to me.  The only fuels I remember
ever seeing (and they powered ALL kinds of aircraft) were JP5 (successor
to the old JP4) which was and is basically kerosene, and 115/145 AV-GAS
(high-octane aviation gasoline used in recips).  In my time, the same JP
was used for both turbo and prop jets, in supersonic fighters and Boeing
transports (C135/707).  On the other hand, if by "mis-fueling" you mean
putting AV-GAS in a jet, I can't imagine the thing starting without a big
time compressor fire.   I'm not sure enough of myself to say you're wrong,
so please don't interpret this as a criticism.  I'm just (as my kids would
have it) a geezer who's interested to know if something *else* has passed
him by. :-)
. . . jim strain in san diego.