Re: Tankers (was McDD/Boeing Merger)

Date:         17 Dec 96 03:09:16
From:         "J. Heilig" <jheilig@gate.net>

Karl Swartz wrote:

> If they can
> convince Congress that there should be a KC-11, so much the better.
> (I have no idea if there have ever been any serious discussions of a
> tanker version of the MD-11.)

	I've never heard any talk of a "KC-11", but it's highly unlikely.
Boeing has been touting the 767 Tanker Transport to the USAF and foreign
customers.  This is especially so now that the Japanese have the "E-767"
AWACS platform about to go in service.

	The USAF really doesn't need another tanker for a number of years yet.
It's hard to kill KC-135s, and AFAIK, the USAF intends to keep them in
service for at least another 20-25 years.

Jennings Heilig