Re: Cargo door theory TWA 800 and others

Date:         16 Dec 96 03:15:38
From:         simonlc@ozemail.com.au (Simon Craig)

>It does have something to do with the accident because it can explain why
>182 door popped in descent and not climb, like the others. The max
>airspeed allowed for AI 182 with the fifth engine was 290 knots and the
>pilot kept it at 290 the whole trip until the end when he allowed the
>speed to creep up. At 296 knots CAS the door went, nose went, plane went
>down.

My goodness!  So an airspeed increase caused the cargo door to blow out.
Extraordinary.  This theory is only a little more ludicrous than the very
dangerous "empty centre wing tank" theory, you know - "All those vapours
in an empty tank are more dangerous than a full tank."

Are you saying the 747 is intrinsically unsafe because of the cargo door?

There are an awful lot of timebombs out there.  Don't fly in 747 with a
cargo door.  And if you have a real deathwish, fly in one with a cargo
door AND an empty centre wing tank!

Regards,

--
Simon Craig

--- I complained because I had no PowerMac; then I met a man who used
Windows." - Cloyce Sutton