Re: Windshear detectors: who has?

Date:         13 Dec 96 04:26:03
From:         "Brian A. Reynolds" <bareynol@cca.rockwell.com>

Pete Babic wrote:

>In a previous article, niels@lofgren.demon.co.uk (Niels Sampath) says:
>
>>Last night (TUES) here in the UK was the first of a 4 part
>>TV documentary on Channel 4 called `Black Box'..a series about
>>air accident investigation. At one point it was stated that
>>`only Continental Airlines' has installed a windshear detector
>>that gives ~45 seconds advance notice that one is approaching
>>a microburst area.
>>
> Is this accurate i.e. `only Continental'?
                         ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

>The Learning Channel in the U.S. has the same series, it is called
>"Survival in the Skies" over here. I think Continental is still the only

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> airline to have these. I remember some media coverage on the subject which
  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> said that Continental was testing these, it made it sound like they were
> not generally available.
Nope.

Federal Aviation Regulation 121.358,
Low-altitude windshear system equipment requirements, states:
	...No person may operate a turbine-powered airplane unless it is
equipped
	with an approved sysem providing airborne windshear warning with flight
	guidance.

The version that I'm looking at (of FAR Part 121) includes change 72 and
is dated 10/30/89. (FAR Part 121 deals with the operation of aircraft in
commercial service.)  So it has been an industry requirement to install
windshear warning systmes for the last 7 years.

Like many details in the documentary, they were incorrect in this one
also.  In general
however it was a good series.

Brian