Re: 757 jitter

From:         Andrew Goldfinger <Andy.Goldfinger@aplmail.jhuapl.edu>
Date:         27 Feb 96 23:00:31

In article <airliners.1996.230@ohare.Chicago.COM> Jerome Dawson,
jeromed@goodnet.com writes:
>>> Has anyone noticed that if you sit aft of the wings in a 757, when the
>>> aircraft makes a maneuver, there is a slight "jitter" from side to
>>> side?  It doesn't happen on 737s, nor 747s.

     I recently flew in a Delta 757 and sat in a bulkhead seat just in
front of the engine nacelles.  During some clear air turbulence (mountain
waves?) I felt a definite side to side shimmy with a frequency of perhaps
1-2 Hz.  Since I was near the wing, I doubt this was due only to attitude
excursions.  Could it be that some dutch roll was causing slight side to
side translations of the aircraft?