Re: New ground proximity warning.

Date:         13 Dec 96 04:26:02
From:         Steve D White <steve@sdwhite.demon.co.uk>

In article <airliners.1996.2764@ohare.Chicago.COM>, "C. Marin Faure"
<faurecm@halcyon.com> writes
>I agree that relying on a new, gee-whiz technology or systems is not a
>guarantee of safety.  But anything that gives the pilots more information
>about their airplane's relationship to the potential terrain dangers
>around them is a good thing as far as I'm concerned, and well worth the
>cost and effort to install.  Apparently, this same system is being
>installed by American Airlines and United as well as Alaska.  I wish I had
>it in the de Havilland Beaver floatplane I fly.  But I can't complain; at
>least it has a com radio...

As a person that works in aircraft safety, I get very twichy when people
start saying thing like this.  Who verifies that the database is
correct? What happens if the terrain changes? The problem this systems
of this sort is that the crew become to rely on them and then when
things go wrong it is put down to pilot error!

I agree that technology can help, but some sort of system integrity
(which includes the database) needs to be shown.  The pilot can all to
easy get the wrong information which isn't a 'good thing'.

Steve

SD White BEng CEng MIEE                 E-Mail:sdwhite@iee.org
Electronic Assessment
Patrol & Support Aircraft Deptartment
DTEO Boscombe Down
AMESBURY
Wilts, SP4 0JF

These views are mine and not necessarily those of DTEO