Re: New ground proximity warning.

Date:         13 Dec 96 04:26:01
From:         s_odle@earthlink.net (Scott Odle)

In article <airliners.1996.2679@ohare.Chicago.COM>, rdd@netcom.com says...
>We need to step away from the "gee whiz" aspect of this type of technology
>(which has apparently influenced at least one senior DOT bureaucrat to call
>for such devices) and harshly analyze the data set, its intended purpose, and
>logically analyze how the current system fails us.  There are likely going to
>be solutions out there which are much less expensive (and less glamorous).

And you don't think that this is already planned for? It is. The databse
accurracy will be verified. Alos, the new system replaces absolutly nothing.
The EGPWS (Enhanced GPWS) will essentailly be a standard GPWS at any location
where the database does not exist.  The intention is simply to add a more
accurate source of information for the GPWS calculations too use.