Re: Cargo door theory TWA 800 and others

Date:         12 Dec 96 04:39:33
From:         Carl Peters <cpeters@i1.net>

RD Rick wrote:

> In <airliners.1996.2715@ohare.Chicago.COM> barry@corazon.com writes:
> >An inadvertently opened forward cargo door caused the destruction of
> >TWA800, Pan Am 103, Air India 182 and almost UAL 811. Full
> >documentation andsupport for cargo door theory is on web site
> >www.corazon.com John Barry Smith barrry@corazon.com

Fairly thin arguments on the website regarding the cargo door theory.
Especially with Lockerbie, is Mr. Smith dismissing all the blast/high
energy penetration/explosive residues evidence? Is it possible that Mr.
Smith, with his experience in radar (a radar blip does not identify a
piece of debris as per his theory), military intelligence (what does this
contribute?), etc. can cull newspaper clippings, read accident reports,
and use his definitive language that he "knows" what happened, in contrast
to the conclusions stemmed from the work of thousands of professionals,
including the NTSB, who spent thousands of hours working on these great
investigations?

A little knowledge does not make him come near the level of expertise as
a complete team of structures/powerplant/metallurgy/avionics/sound experts,
etc. His qualification quip of being "an audiologist" lends nothing - I
know many in my role as a physician, and I doubt they could distinguish
a decompression signature from a satiated pilot's flatulence on a CVR
without specific training in exactly that arena.

I would have more sympathy if he advanced his argument more in a "I have
a theory" manner than "I know what happened" attitude. This smacks of
conspiracy mongering, and would better be served in rec.delusions.
grassyknoll. Sorry to be somewhat abrasive, but I do not want to see this
excellent newsgroup filled with the fluff of alt.disasters written by
people more properly served with a mental health consult. On a more
positive note, the accident summaries at his site are nice.

Carl Peters, M.D.
Capt., USAF