Re: Ethiopian 767 crash

Date:         12 Dec 96 04:39:33
From:         michael keenan <mkeenan@callisto.uwinnipeg.ca>

On 1 Dec 1996, Andre Neves wrote:

> I've seen the images of the crash as many of you did, and I wonder
> if anybody has any idea of what happened, because the overwater
> landing was done completely flapless and the left spoilers
> completely open causing the unadvisable roll to the left on finals.
> This was in my opinion the cause for so many fatalities.
> If the landing had been performed properly (full flaps, slats
> and level) maybe nobody would have died!
> (after all the aircraft was quite light...)
> Any comments?

Only one hitch here- without fuel, the crew would have been reduced to
basic 3-axis control (that's all the ram air turbine can do). The flaps
and slats could not be deployed. As for being level, that's not so easy
either- I recalled reading in Freefall (the book about the Gimli Glider)
that the controls are much harder to use when powered by the RAT than
under full power. Furthermore, some reports say that the pilots were
trying to fight off the hijackers as they were ditching the plane. Still
think they could have done a better job??

Mike