Re: Windshear detectors: who has?

Date:         12 Dec 96 03:49:26
From:         pab@po.CWRU.Edu (Pete Babic)

In a previous article, niels@lofgren.demon.co.uk (Niels Sampath) says:

>Last night (TUES) here in the UK was the first of a 4 part
>TV documentary on Channel 4 called `Black Box'..a series about
>air accident investigation. At one point it was stated that
>`only Continental Airlines' has installed a windshear detector
>that gives ~45 seconds advance notice that one is approaching
>a microburst area.
>
>Is this accurate i.e. `only Continental'?

The Learning Channel in the U.S. has the same series, it is called
"Survival in the Skies" over here. I think Continental is still the only
airline to have these. I remember some media coverage on the subject which
said that Continental was testing these, it made it sound like they were
not generally available.

--

      Indians Sticks Are Back In '96!           |  Pete Babic
          "Unfinished Business"                 |  pab@po.cwru.edu