MD-11F vs. 747-400F Design Philosophies

From:         etech@deltanet.com
Date:         27 Feb 96 23:00:29
Followups:    1 2 3 4 5 6 7

I've seen a number of MD-11 freighters that seem to have all eight
passenger doors and metal window plugs.  I get the impression that the
operators of these aircraft may have wanted something that could be
relatively easily converted to passenger use if the cargo market didn't
pan out.

What about the 747-400F, on the other hand?  I've seen a number of these
as well, and I'm puzzled about Boeing's decision to use the standard
-100 and -200 upper deck instead of the stretched upper deck used in the
passenger variant.  I understand that the SUD probably wouldn't be of
much use in cargo operations.  But if a 747-400F operator decided that
the cargo market was not worth pursuing and wanted to convert their
freighters to a passenger configuration, wouldn't putting in the SUD be
an expensive retrofit?

==
etech@deltanet.com           Eric Chevalier       Compu$erve: 76010,2463
etech@netcom.com         ---------------------          Prodigy: GCXJ11A