Re: 737: Take-off without flaps?

Date:         12 Dec 96 03:49:24
From:         jac@panix.com (John Clear)

Michael Hore <mikeh@zeta.org.au> wrote:
>While I'm here, last year I did see a 747-400 of a very prominent
>carrier (not Qantas) actually "attempt" a completely flapless takeoff
>- presumably the warning alarm sounded as the throttles were advanced,
>since the a/c came to a very hasty stop after rolling about 50
>metres, and began to extend the flaps.  They advised the tower that
>they'd be holding position for 2 minutes.  They didn't mention why (!).

Since you mention a very hasty stop, they probably needed time for
the brakes to cool down.  There are charts listing how quickly the
brakes cool under different circumstances.  If the wheels are retracted
before the brakes are properly cooled, the tires may deflate or explode,
either of which isn't recommended.

John
--
John Clear - jac@panix.com  PP-ASEL  1Lt, CAP-CAWG  http://www.panix.com/~jac
"They're all lawyers, and think that the laws of physics can be amended with