Re: "Crooked 737s?"

Date:         08 Dec 96 04:12:43
From:         turbojet@earthlink.net (Alan Chesnutt)

In article <airliners.1996.2635@ohare.Chicago.COM>, ei7gm@iol.ie wrote:

> mikem727@aol.com (MikeM727) wrote:
>
> : Like you say, shutting down one engine while rolling into the gate is a
> : little different that taxiing around on one engine.  So much extra thrust
> : is required to get the thing moving, that much of the advantage is lost at
> : heavy weights.  Also depends how long the line is for takeoff.
>
> Out of curiousity
> Is there a HUGE difference in the  yaw when operating on one engine
> on a 737 to a 727  ( given where the engines are )
> or does the rudder counter-act the force pulling the nose around
> so that it might appear to be similar ?

The 737 requires a fair amount of rudder to maintain coordinated flight on
one engine, but bear in mind this is also directly proportional to the
thrust being produced by the other engine, and airspeed. Higher asymetric
thrust, more rudder. Higher airspeed, less rudder (due to the aircraft
"weathervane" effect induced by the large vertical stab)
Never flown a 727.

--
I thought it was the heavy drinking, the
late hours, the barking mad women, the lying around in bed