Re: "Crooked 737s?"

Date:         08 Dec 96 04:12:42
From:         niels@lofgren.demon.co.uk (Niels Sampath)

           cr_king@cr_king.seanet.com "Reid Fairburn" writes:

>=====I thought that we had put this to bed already.  The main gear on the
>737 has a small amount of swivel built into it so the gear can relieve some
>of the loads during landings and turns.  This causes the offset taxi
>condition in crosswinds, engine out taxi, etc.  No big deal.  The nose gear
>is on the centerline...with a little bit of  L & R play.

For proof positive of this:
There is a video about the 737 (dealing with it being in service
in New Zealand for 25 years....  but probably, IMHO, the best single
subject airliner video I've seen so far)  that has one external camera
focused on the main landing gear. You can actually see the gear `castering'
a bit as taxiway turns are made.

Niels
(PS: I'm not connected with the video or its sales in any way. But
in case I am about to get bombarded by requests on where I found it: it
was advertised by `Aviation Collectables Downunder' in the latest
issue of Airways (the UPS-on-the-cover Nov/Dec issue).