Re: 737: Take-off without flaps?

Date:         08 Dec 96 04:12:40
From:         mikeh@zeta.org.au (Michael Hore)

From: simonlc@ozemail.com.au (Simon Craig) writes:

>>Yes, but the LED's will always be extended.
>
>An excellent point.  The 767 minimum setting is "1 unit" but this too is
>l/e slats extended to the take-off range and t/e flaps retracted.  I've
>never seen one take off like this, but we are taught that this is the
>minimum.

I've seen it once - an Air New Zealand 767-300.  The runway was 34L at
Sydney which is 39xx m long - although the takeoff run wasn't unusually
long.  I guess it was well under max t/o weight.

Incidentally, I've never seen an A300 use the "zero degrees" (trailing
edge flaps retracted) setting in this part of the world - maybe it's
just not normally done by Qantas.

While I'm here, last year I did see a 747-400 of a very prominent
carrier (not Qantas) actually "attempt" a completely flapless takeoff
- presumably the warning alarm sounded as the throttles were advanced,
since the a/c came to a very hasty stop after rolling about 50
metres, and began to extend the flaps.  They advised the tower that
they'd be holding position for 2 minutes.  They didn't mention why (!).

Fortunately there wasn't anybody on late final, as they wouldn't have
been particularly amused.  Once the flaps were at the normal 20 deg,
they reported ready and departed normally.  As someone said, I guess
if you're distracted you can miss a checklist item - or maybe there
was a check pilot making a deliberate mistake?

Cheers,  Mike.

Mike Hore          mikeh@zeta.org.au