Re: Fixing airplane after minor crash

From:         lstone@interserve.com (Larry Stone)
Date:         27 Feb 96 23:00:27

mezei_jf@eisner.decus.org (Jean-Francois Mezei) wrote:

>How long would such damage typically take to repair before the plane is
>back in the air on commercial service ?

It can vary. In 1991 (or was it late 1990), an almost brand-new UA 747-400
made a partial gear-up landing at LAX (only the outer mains would extend).
Thanks to some extremely excellent airplane handling by the captain (he
kept the nose off the ground until about 10 knots - I've seen a video of
it), damage was limited to the nose gear doors (which did open) and some
skin panels. The plane was back in service five days later.

>What happens when an airline gets such a damage in an airport where
>maintenance facilities are not available ?

Almost every airport has some sort of maintenance facility. And I assume
we (United) is typical in having someone to call on for emergency
maintenance at every airport we serve. Sometimes that is a local FBO
(fixed base operator) and sometimes it is another airline.

When needed, airline contract with other carriers to do maintenance work.
A few months ago, Virgin had a plane lose an engine shortly after take-off
from San Francisco. I assume we did the work on the plane as it spent a
few days at our line maintenance facility at SFO. I've also seen a VASP
MD-11 and a Ryan International 727 (in U.S. Postal Service colors) at our
base for repairs.

--
-- Larry Stone --- lstone@interserve.com
   Belmont, CA, USA