Re: GPS for Aerial Navigation

Date:         08 Dec 96 04:12:36
From:         bentson@grieg.bentson.aa.net (Randolph Bentson)

Gerard Foley <gfoley@freenet.columbus.oh.us> wrote:

>In "Flying", Dec. 1996 on p.16 Richard L. Collins says the FAA proposes
>to "phase out Omega and Loran-C by 2000 and most VORs and DMEs by 2010
>....GPS system for precision approaches will be operating in five years
>...isn't clear whether or not ILS systems are on the list to be phased
>out by 2010."
>
>In the same issue a letter to the editor complains about the lack of
>redundancy if sole reliance is placed on GPS, and the editor's note in
>comment agrees that many people are concerned about this, but GPS
>is cheap (the FAA doesn't pay for it, the DOD does!).

The FAA seems quite clear that Cat I ILS will be phased out
by 2010. It's also clear that the FAA's plans include other
sources of GPS range informtion from geostationary satellites
and _serious_ differential GPS support.  (I wonder why they
don't plan on pseudolites near airports to provide additional
GPS range information.)

Randolph Bentson
bentson@grieg.seaslug.org