Re: Airbus threatens to sue Boeing

From:         mezei_jf@eisner.decus.org (Jean-Francois Mezei)
Date:         27 Feb 96 23:00:26

In article <airliners.1996.262@ohare.Chicago.COM>, JW6191A@american.edu (John Witherspoon) writes:
> This makes no sense to me -- are airplane performance numbers that hard
> to come by?  I'm sure Boeing didn't just dream this up -- if an A330/A340
> can cruise at greater than 0.78 Mach, you'd think the whole world would
> know about it, and Boeing wouldn't make itself look stupid by
> advertising something to the contrary.

Unfortunatly, Boeing *may* have said that, but in a context which was not
properly interpreted by the reporting media (magazine, newspaper etc).

For instance, Boeing *may* have been reporting that a certain airline,
under certain circumstances, cannot operate a certain aircraft above a
certain speed and this was misreported as Boeing stating that Airbus planes
cannot exceed such a speed.

Or Boeing may have made a mistake in wording their statement so that it
was not clear that it applied to a specific condition and made it look
like Boeing was making a generalisation.

Or, if Boeing is like many large computer makers (minis-mainframes of the
80s), some technical guy may have made a statement to a marketing guy and
the marketing guy only say what was interesting to him and made the
generalisation that Airbus cannot exceed a certain speed and did not
understand under what circumstances such a limit would be imposed.