Re: Airbus on a roll

Date:         05 Dec 96 02:27:18
From:         mikeh@zeta.org.au (Michael Hore)

"t. smith" <trsmith@prado.com> writes:

>   As for the 45% list price, Airbus basically wants to sell America
>airliners paid for by European taxpayers

This particular assertion seems to be thrown around often here - does
anybody have any actual figures on government subsidisation of the
Airbus consortium companies, or is it just another US-based urban myth?

and faurecm@halcyon.com (C. Marin Faure) writes:

>It is my understanding, perhaps incorrectly, that it is much more
>difficult for companies in France such as Aerospatiale to rapidly
>fluctuate the size of their workforces in response to product demand.  And
>even if they can send large numbers of employees out the door during a
>downturn, I believe the government picks up a sizeable tab to support
>these unemployed workers.

This seems far more plausible to me, from the little I know of European
politics.

But it would be good to have some real numbers, related to subsidisation
or other support, if anybody has them.

Cheers,  Mike.

Mike Hore          mikeh@zeta.org.au