Re: Airbus on a roll

Date:         05 Dec 96 02:27:18
From:         Chuanga@cris.com (H Andrew Chuang)

In article <airliners.1996.2667@ohare.Chicago.COM> Karl Swartz (kls@ohare.Chicago.COM) wrote:
> >Remember that the 777 is just a glorified DC10-L1011-A340 plane which
> >will eventually be able to fly just as far as the DC10-A340 planes can.
>
> Eventually?!  The 777-200(IGW) will enter revenue service early next
> year with substantially greater range than any DC-10 or L-1011, and
> according to AW&ST numbers, greater than even the MD-11.  (The A340
> still has greater range, though.)

Yes, but only by 100 to 200 nautical miles.  One has to take these
numbers with a grain of salt.  The range can vary greatly depending
on the routes, payloads, cruise speeds, etc.  More importantly, the
winter nonstop service from Hong Kong to Toronto is the only route
over 7,000 statute miles that is flown by the A340 (I think).  The
B747-400 still rules the long-haul market.  Don't know if the
B777-200IGW will be widely used on these long-haul routes.