Re: Propeller Blade Temperature

Date:         04 Dec 96 02:42:19
From:         GWilson404@aol.com

In article <rddE1LLut.576@netcom.com>, Don Woods <don@tsc.com> writes:

>We are simulating the infrared signature of a turboprop aircraft.
>Does anyone know what propeller blade temperatures might typically be,
>in flight?

If the local speed of the aerofoil relative to the air were Mach 1 , the
temperature of the local section would be around 1.2 times ambient
temperature. Hub Mach number is obviously lower than tip Mach number, and
conduction through the prop would tend to reduce temperature gradient along
its length. So I imagine the answer would be no more than 5 to 10% above
ambient (absolute temperature).

Hope this helps, unless someone can come up with a definitive answer.

Gerald Wilson.