Re: TWA Flight 800 accident

Date:         04 Dec 96 02:42:19
From:         "Dave Starr" <davestarr@usa.net>

You raise some interesting points, but a couple of your statements just
don't hold water.

> 2. Strong wake turbulence in completely smooth air 45 minutes after the
> preceding traffic had passed  the same spot, as indicated by ATC.

Impossible under the laws of physics for 'strong wake turbulence' to be
present 45 minutes after passage of a jet aircraft.  Measurable wake
turbulence may exist as long as several minutes (on the order of 3 to 5
minutes).  This would require very still air.  I was in Colorado Springs
the morning of the crash you mentioned - the air was anything but still.
Wind from the northwest at 25 to 35 knots with some higher peak gusts.
Also blowing dust and dust devils visibly apparent and visible lenticular
'rotor; clouds, indicative of strong mountain waves aloft. Aside from the
rotor clods and a few very widely scattered Cu, the sky was clear and
visibility was greater than 70 miles.

> Airlines Boeing 737 accident at Colorado Springs. The final report left
out
> the sworn statement of the traffic controller handling the flight which I
> quote,  "The transition from level flight to vertical flight was an
> instantaneous transition."
This statement is documented where? Why would the NTSB leave it out?
>At the same instant of time of his observation
> the co-pilot exclaimed "Oh God  (flip)" ed? Note: She did not say roll!

I have read at least three versions of the UA COS transcript and your's is
the only interpretation that inserts 'editorially' the word flip in front
of the letters ed.  The other versions of the transcript interpret the
copilot's statement as, "Oh God, Ed!", which is quite understandable to me,
since that was the captain's first name.

Again. some of your theories are interesting, but they have little or no
applicability to the Colorado Springs crash.