Re: 737: Take-off without flaps?

Date:         04 Dec 96 02:42:18
From:         turbojet@earthlink.net (Alan Chesnutt)

Ken.Ehlers@mhadf.production.compuserve.com, PA-C
<103441.3241@CompuServe.COM> wrote:

> I have flown out of Fallon NAS in Nevada a number of times in
> DC9's. Fallon is at 3934 ft and when the temp is above 110f (very
> common in the summer, sometimes as high as 125F) Normal procedure
> is a very long roll with the flaps always up. I have seen airforce
> 737 navigation trainers take off there too, also with flaps up.
>
> Ken Ehlers, PA-C
> <103441.3241>

As a 737 pilot, I feel it is necessary to state that the approved flap
settings for takeoff in the Boeing 737 series -100, -200 and -300 (the
types I fly) are 1,2,5,10 and 15 degrees, all of which extend the leading
edge devices (or LEDs) to either an intermediate- or fully-extended
position. If you or anyone else has seen one of these models take off
without any LEDs and/or flaps extended you were witnessing an accident or
incident in progress. There are no approved procedures, to my knowledge,
that allow a no-flap takeoff in the 737, although from the cabin it may
have appeared as though flaps were not extended due to the small amount of
extension that occurs with a flaps 1 setting. There is a takeoff
configuration warning horn that should sound if either thrust lever is
advanced beyond approximately 30 degrees of travel without flaps set to
any of the aforementioned settings.
There are jet aircraft that have wings with no LEDs, specifically the -10
series of DC9s. I'm sure there are others as well. Merry Christmas to all,
and to all a good night.

--
I thought it was the heavy drinking, the
late hours, the barking mad women, the lying around in bed