Re: 737: Take-off without flaps?

Date:         04 Dec 96 02:42:18
From:         simonlc@ozemail.com.au (Simon Craig)

>*Most* modern aiprlanes, even during a "zero" flap takeoff, will have
>leading edge devices (LED's) extended.  If these are hanging down
>(symmetrically from wing-to-wing), then the aircraft can probably get off
>the ground without difficulty.  (Of course, the DC-9 Dash 10 and a few
>other early airliners - the Fokker F-28? - have no LED's at all, so don't
>cry wolf on one of those!)
>
>> BTW, the normal setting for the A-300 Airbus is zero degrees.
>
>Yes, but the LED's will always be extended.

An excellent point.  The 767 minimum setting is "1 unit" but this too is
l/e slats extended to the take-off range and t/e flaps retracted.  I've
never seen one take off like this, but we are taught that this is the
minimum.

Regards,

--
Simon Craig

--- I complained because I had no PowerMac; then I met a man who used
Windows." - Cloyce Sutton