Re: Import taxes when buying an airliner?

Date:         02 Dec 96 01:44:35
From:         rickydik@ix.netcom.com (RD Rick)

In <airliners.1996.2624@ohare.Chicago.COM> graemec@ibm.net writes:

>In <airliners.1996.2549@ohare.Chicago.COM>, "Hans Jakobsson"
<hansj@algonet.se> writes:
>>... When you buy, say a new 767, from Boeing you
>>technically import it into your country. Aren't there customs and import
>>taxes to be paid for such a procurement...

>I once crossed the Tasman Sea and back in a 747 with only some lawyers for
>passengers so that its ownership (and registration) could change during the
>transit.

>...anyone know all the technicalities of Boeing's 'handover' flight -
>and what is the Airbus equivalent?

Douglas Aircraft used to fly all their planes from the factory in Long
Beach, Calif., to their facility in Yuma, Arizona, for the sales
transaction to avoid Calif sales tax.  The Calif tax changed 10-15
years ago, and they stopped the practice.

There was the story about a sale in which the DAC people and maybe some
others were in a conference call with the financiers in New York.
At the last minute one of the financiers got cold feet and refused to
sign.  In Yuma they heard a fistfight over the phone..
RD