Re: Airbus on a roll

Date:         02 Dec 96 01:44:34
From:         M.J.Jennings@amtp.cam.ac.uk (Michael Jennings)

J. Heilig <jheilig@gate.net> wrote:

>	I think with American's recent announcement, Boeing isn't really all
>that upset about Airbus "winning" this one.  As I've said before, I
>seriously doubt that USAirways will be around long enough to take
>delivery of anywhere near all of the Airbus airplanes they've ordered.

	The other issue is simply that Boeing is selling as many
aircraft as it can possibly make at the moment. There are a few
strategic sales they would like to make (in particular, I think
they would like to sell 777s to as many 'prominent' airlines as
possible - American was one, and I am sure that they would love to
sell them to Delta as well), but basically their strategy should
be to get the best customers rather than as many orders as possible.
In this sense, losing the USAirways order probably wasn't that bad.
(Having United order more Airbus aircraft was much worse). They seem
to be doing on the whole quite well in this regard. I don't think
there is any question that Airbus is also having a good year, but it
is debatable that it is at Boeing's expense.

	Michael.
--
Michael Jennings
Department of Applied Mathematics and Theoretical Physics