Re: 737: Take-off without flaps?

Date:         02 Dec 96 01:44:34
From:         "Mark E. Ingram" <markt@mickey.mo-net.com>

On 1 Dec 1996, Cole Pierce wrote:

> Lest we unnecessarily scare a 'knowledgeable' passenger about no-flap
> take-offs, you should understand that normal procedures may call for
> a no-flap or minimum flap setting take-off.

Definitely, there is no need for undue alarm.  However, with very few
exceptions, "no flaps" on takeoff refers to *trailing edge* flaps, the
exact position of which can indeed be difficult to ascertain from the
cabin.

*Most* modern aiprlanes, even during a "zero" flap takeoff, will have
leading edge devices (LED's) extended.  If these are hanging down
(symmetrically from wing-to-wing), then the aircraft can probably get off
the ground without difficulty.  (Of course, the DC-9 Dash 10 and a few
other early airliners - the Fokker F-28? - have no LED's at all, so don't
cry wolf on one of those!)

> BTW, the normal setting for the A-300 Airbus is zero degrees.

Yes, but the LED's will always be extended.

Mark E. Ingram

MarkT@Mo-Net.Com (also mingram@mail.orion.org)