Re: 737: Take-off without flaps?

Date:         02 Dec 96 01:44:34
From:         jdk@apk.net (John Knopp)

Andrew Goldfinger <Andy.Goldfinger@jhuapl.edu> wrote:

>Which brings up a thought I have had for some time.  There are
>significant conditions (such as no-flaps, asymmetric slats or ice on the
>wings) that are visible from the cabin.  In the cabin, there are trained
>professionals -- the flight attendents.  Why not require the flight
>attendents to verify wing conditions before take off, and call the flight
>deck if anomolies are found?

Flight attendants are not currently trained to make any kind of
judgement about any of the factors you mention.  Their main function
is to get you out if the need arises.  Of course, if they see or hear
something that seems "out of the ordinary" they need to check with the
cockpit but that's typically as far as it goes.

Unfortunately, most flight attendants would be unable to differentiate
a flap from a slat and until they are properly trained having them
"verify wing conditions" is not a good idea.

Of course, there are exceptions.  Some F/As have their licenses and/or
other formal training or are simply "into" airplanes; those extra eyes
and ears are an invaluable asset to the cockpit crew but,
unfortunately, those folks are in the minority in the F/A corps.

-
John Knopp
jdk@apk.net