Re: Airbus on a roll

Date:         01 Dec 96 04:08:56
From:         "J. Heilig" <jheilig@gate.net>

Malcolm Weir wrote:

> So Boeing has never discounted an airliner to make a sale?
>
> The issue is simply this: if the normal "deal" on a 120 unit order
> involves pricing at X% off "list price", how does the approx. 45% in
> this order compare with that X%?
>
> Care to comment on pricing for some of Boeings "launch" orders?

	Nobody said Boeing has never discounted an airplane before.  I think
the issue with USAirways is that no one else would give them credit
(including the leasing companies) because of their financial position.
In order to get a potential big sale (and, no doubt, to rub Boeing's
corporate nose in it), they agreed to what, let's face it, is virtually
giving airplanes away to USAirways just to get the contracts.

	I think with American's recent announcement, Boeing isn't really all
that upset about Airbus "winning" this one.  As I've said before, I
seriously doubt that USAirways will be around long enough to take
delivery of anywhere near all of the Airbus airplanes they've ordered.

Cheers,

Jennings Heilig