Re: hijacked Ethiopian Airlines Boeing 767 crashes

Date:         01 Dec 96 04:08:54
From:         tomas@medialab.ericsson.se (Tomas Stephanson)

kls@ohare.Chicago.COM (Karl Swartz) writes:

>The plane apparently ran out of fuel and crashed into the Indian Ocean
>2 km short of the runway at Grande Comore Island, part of the four
>island Federal Islamic Republic of the Comoros.  It broke into two
>pieces, at least one of which was still afloat.

Can modern aircraft land on water? I saw a video clip on the news of the
plane landing (it was not a pretty sight). In this case the wing tip struck
the water causing the plane to instantly to break up.  But if they had
managed to plane out before striking the water would not the engines have
struck the water first and then same result?

And how much can you man over a modern aircraft when you have run out of
fuel, Is there still power for flaps etc? Why I ask is that it looked like
the plane landed without flaps and at quite a high speed.

/Tomas