Re: Peruvian 757 crash

Date:         01 Dec 96 04:08:53
From:         "john r." <john@guava.demon.co.uk>

In article <airliners.1996.2579@ohare.Chicago.COM>, jfmezei
<jfmezei@videotron.ca> writes
>Are there not facilities/instructions on how to reboot all your
>computers DURING a flight ? I realise that there would be problems
>estimating your current position once computers are back up and telling
>the computer that it had awaken right in the middle of a flight.

Depends on the computer function, on a multi channel system crew may try
a power cycle once but nothing on a fly by wire system.

>I was once on a A320 where the pilots explained to us the PAX that the
>"computer was not cooperating" and that they had to shut it down and
>restart it from scratch and that this would take 8 minutes and that we
>would thus be leaving a bit late. I assume a good part of the 8 minutes
>was running a checklist and recalibrating stuff, correct ?

Sounds like a Inertial Nav system, these are very reliable on the latest
a/c but still occasionaly go down on their alignment phase, which can
only be done when static. Standard procedure is to shut down and start
again, once. After that its a unit change.

--

  _J_O_H_N____R_E_L_P_H____________   john@guava.demon.co.uk